HISTORY OF ST. PETER SCHOOL
The first St. Peter parish school was opened in 1861 by Reverend Peter McGirr. This school was located south of the church which was on 8th and Maine Streets. It was staffed by the School Sisters of Notre Dame and had an enrollment of 250 students.
In 1921, the Sisters of the Most Precious Blood came to Quincy to staff St. Peter School, which was transferred to 11th and State Streets when Governor Wood’s property was purchased. Reverend John Driscoll was pastor at that time.
In 1949, the present school building was built at 25th and Maine Street while Monsignor Thomas Cusack was pastor. This building was used as church and school until 1962. After the new church (the old church was destroyed by a tornado in 1945) was dedicated in January of 1962 with Reverend Joseph O’Brien as pastor, the church section in the main building was converted into classrooms. At present, there are eleven classrooms in this building. There are three classrooms, a cafeteria, a meeting room and a kitchen in the lower level of the church building. The library, St. Peter Holy Childhood Pre-School, and the computer lab are located in Father Tolton Hall (the former convent).
A new gym and kindergarten classroom were completed for use in August of 1979 under the direction of Reverend Arthur LeBreton, pastor.
Father Roy Bauer came to St. Peter Parish in May of 1985. During his arrival a new playground area and additional parking was being constructed east of the present complex. This was completed in 1987.
The year 1988 marked the beginning of several new educational programs: Learning Disabilities/Remedial Resource classroom, Educable Mentally Handicapped (EMH) classroom, and the Holy Childhood Pre-School. In 1990 a primary EMH program became a part of the special education program. A full time vocal music teacher was added to the staff in 1991. In 1999 this program was discontinued.|
In keeping with modern technology the school incorporated into the curriculum the use of computers with the addition of the networked IBM computer lab in 1992. In 1995 a full time computer teacher was added to the program. During the summer of 1999 the computer lab was updated by replacing the original computers with 34 new workstations and a new system.
The St. Peter School Advisory Board was formed in the spring of 1993. The Board is an advisory board dealing with matters pertaining to the educational programs and facilities of the parish school.
The 1994-1995 school year marked the beginning of a full time P.E. program.
The music program was discontinued at the end of the 1999 school year. This program was reinstated with the beginning of the 2000-2001 school year.
With the addition of a new kindergarten room St. Peter School began all day kindergarten in the 2001-2002 school year. In October of 2001 a new building, Seton Hall, which houses grades 7 & 8 was completed. This new addition allowed for space in the church basement to convert two classrooms into a music room and a meeting room – the Martha Jane room. With the completion of this building the music program has its own room and the Martha Jane room is available for school and parish meetings.
The EMH program closed its doors at the end of the 2003-2004 school year.
Father Daniel Bergbower joined our parish family July 1, 2004 after the retirement of Father Roy Bauer June 30, 2004.
In the beginning of the 2005-2006 school year, the preschool became a part of St. Peter School due to the reorganization of the Quincy Catholic Schools.
The summer of 2008 marked the ground breaking and construction of an addition to the original school building and an additional room behind the kindergarten south room. (Renovations on the Church of St. Peter began at this time also.)Father Bergbower completed four years as pastor of the Church of St. Peter on June 30, 2008, to become full time chaplain with the Air National Guard.
Father John Burnette joined our parish family July 1, 2008.
In the Spring of 2009 the classrooms located in the basement of the church were moved to the new addition that was constructed on the south side of the existing 1949 school building.
The summer of 2009 marked the completion of the new kindergarten room, the computer lab, the new entry into the school which included enclosing the walkway between the school and gym, remodeling the school office with a new entry door and windows for visibility into the hallway, and moving the preschool to the former kindergarten north classroom. The remaining classrooms in the 1949 building had additional electrical outlets and data ports installed and received a fresh coat of paint.
All teachers, the assistant principal and the principal have a degree and are certified to teach. The average class size is twenty-one students.
Worried about your children spending time online?
Parents, click here to see “Kim Komando’s 10 Commandments for Kids Online”. Read it with your children and talk about what to do and not do on the Internet!