ACHD Quarantine Guidelines:
- Please note that the ACHD recommends a quarantine period of 14 days for individuals deemed to be a close contact of a positive COVID case.
- Any household contact must remain in quarantine for 14 days after the most recent (last) date of exposure. Household members cannot test out of quarantine or be released from quarantine until Day 15.
ACHD Quarantine Guideline Updates:
Exposures occurring outside the household:
- With no COVID test and no symptoms reported during daily monitoring, quarantine can end after Day 10, return to school on Day 11. Daily monitoring must continue through Day 14.
- Staff Members Only can return to school on Day 8 IF a PCR test is completed on Day 7 of exposure and is Negative. The PCR test is available at Blessing Drive-Thru, QMG or Hy-Vee and can take 24-72 hours to result.
- An example would be: if a student/staff member receives a positive COVID test and attended school that day, students exposed and deemed to be in close contact with the positive would be quarantined by the ACHD. While in quarantine if the exposed student does not have symptoms within 10 days, then they could return to school on Day 11. *For staff members only: If the staff member does not have symptoms for 7 days and receives a negative COVID PCR test that was administered on Day 7, they could return to school on Day 8.
As always, we will contact a family individually when an exposure occurs to explain these guidelines as well as answer any questions regarding your individual situation. ACHD will also follow up with all close contacts. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the new guidelines, please contact the school and we will be happy to help you. Thanks for your patience as we adjust to the rapidly changing guidelines.
Students and Siblings with Suspected COVID-19 Symptoms:
If a student is sent home sick with suspected COVID 19 symptoms (cough, fever, diarrhea, shortness of breath, stomachache, vomiting, etc.) must all siblings/household members be sent home as well and quarantine for 14 calendar days?
- Yes, if a household member is being evaluated for COVID-19, the rest of the household must be quarantined until an alternative diagnosis is made or a negative result is received. Medical evaluation and COVID 19 diagnostic testing are strongly recommended for all persons with COVID-like symptoms. If the sick student becomes a confirmed case or a probable case, the ACHD will conduct contact tracing and place household contacts in quarantine for 14 calendar days. The ACHD will provide guidance on how to safely quarantine and isolate within the household.
If testing in not performed due to the clinical judgment of the healthcare provider, a medical note is needed to return to school documenting that there is no clinical suspicion for COVID-19 infection and indicate an alternative diagnosis with the exclusion consistent with this diagnosis. Your child may then return to school on the day his/her doctor indicates on their medical note. Healthy siblings may then return to school.
Updated 01/01/21 and is subject to change.